Friday, March 10, 2017

Everyday, Important Good Stuff - Creative Scrappers March sketch reveal with scrappy tip

Hello crafty friends!

Today I'm on the Creative Scrappers blog sharing a layout for sketch 304.  I am highlighting my adventure into starting my bullet journal, and I'm using Simple Stories Posh collection since I also use some of the Posh planner items my bullet journal.


One of the best ways to create the squares in the sketch was to pull out my 6x6 paper pad.  I chose patterns with different variety:  a floral, some arrows, a solid light pink with polka dots, and a dark blue with polka dots.  

Scrappy tip:  something I learned in a quilting class I took is to squint at the fabrics (in this case, papers) and if you see a lot of contrast, that's good. If the papers are too similar in tone, pattern, colors, then see what else you can substitute for a good mix.

Once I chose my papers and decided where to place them, I trimmed them to save what wouldn't show.  Most non-rotary trimmers are great for trimming out centers or angled cuts.  In the blue paper below, you can see I trimmed a 4x4 piece from the bottom.  You'll never know it's missing!  I did the same for all the pieces behind the pink polka dot one that is in front.



Here's the layout again, and I opted to photograph it with a background setup as well.  I usually don't but wanted to test this technique out. 


Here are some close-ups.  You can see the distressed edges of the 6x6 papers as well as the stitching.  I love those enamel dots, bits & pieces, and decorative brads.  I printed my photos using my new HP Sprocket pocket printer.



Journal strips, the pencil and that "Shine" ephemera piece...fun!


I created a little banner by trimming the journaling tags from one of the 6x6 papers, sewing, and then adding some more bits and pieces.  There's Winston, the Simple Stories doggie, on a brad!


Don't forget to create your own rendition using sketch 304 and post to the CS InLinkz and share with us on Facebook and Instagram using #creatingwithsketches and #cssketch304.


Thanks for stopping by today.  Have a great weekend!

Majken

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your comments! They give me nearly as many endorphins as chocolate does. :) Don't forget to follow me on Instagram: @chocoscrapaholic